One of the most common questions we get is, "how do I drop charges?"

The first thing you need to know is that once you call the police and someone's arrested, you no longer own the case. It belongs to the state of Texas. They may listen to you and take your input, but they're not going to make their decision based on whether you want to pursue it or not. You're not the one that decides whether it moves forward or whether it's dropped.

The second thing you need to know is that you may face charges yourself. If you just got ticked off, or mad at your spouse or boyfriend and decided to call the police for no reason, then you may be facing charges for filing a false report.

The last thing you need to know is you can't simply ignore it, hope it goes away, or refuse to cooperate. You can be forced to go into court and testify, you can be subpoenaed. And if you don't show up then you're going to face problems yourself. So it's something you need to deal with, it's something you need to address. It's not going to go on away on its own.

You're probably reading this because you want to help. You feel guilty or you feel bad because you called the police and got your spouse or your partner in trouble. Before you do that, you need some help and you need to have somebody help you walk you through the process. We're here to do that. Walter Reaves has over 30 years of criminal defense experience. Give us a call at (254) 781-3588 and we'll be able to help you. 

Walter Reaves
Connect with me
Criminal Defense Attorney Walter Reaves has been practicing law for over 35 years.