You probably aren't suprised that students attending Baylor occassionally get in trouble. For the most part they are relatively minor offenses, and we are frequently able to obtain deferred adjudication for them. After they graduate they generally move off, sometimes even to other States. They then want to obtain an order for non-disclosure, and one of the first questions is whether they will have to take off work - usually from their new job - and come to court.

The question is it depends. A couple of judges want you to show up - mainly so they can talk to you. Others will simply sign the order if you have the agreeement of the District Attorney. Suprisingly, the felony court judges in McLennan County don't make you come to court. Maybe it's because they don't have many motions for  non-disclosure to deal with, since deferred adjudication is rarely granted. Or maybe it's because they have a lot of other stuff to do, and recognize that there's no reason to take up their time with a motion they know they are going to  have to grant.

The good news is that if you do have to go to court it's usually a short hearing. Other than the inconvenience, it's not a traumatic experience.

If you are trying to obtain a motion for non-disclosure it's always better to use an attorney in the county where you were  placed on probation. They will be familiar with  the procedures in that county, including such issues as when you have to show up for court. Local knowledge in this situation is valuable.  Additionally, it is going to be cheaper, because they won't happy to travel to another county.

If you have questions about obtaining a motion for non-disclosure please feel free to contact us.